Monday, June 20, 2005

Leftover Decking Means Wedding Bench

If you have ever built a deck, you have probably wondered what to do with all the leftover scraps. I discovered a few years back that one good use for cedar decking is to build simple garden furniture.

We realized when we got back from Europe that our friend's wedding was coming up quick and we didn't have a clue what to get them. The last time some close friends got married I built them a bench out of some leftover decking from my old house. So, I thought, since I have a whole lot of scrap cedar from the 2 porches, I'd build another bench. This is actually the ninth piece of furniture I've made out of cedar in the past few years and it took me about 10 hours to cut, assemble, sand, and oil.

Here are a couple of pictures (click on the pictures for different sizes). First, Jenn poses for me on the bench.



Second, the bride and groom pose for pictures on the bench. They seemed to like it very much. Whew! :-)

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasmira said...

I really like the bench. I expected something very retangular, but the curves are much better.

12:41 PM, June 21, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks, Kasmira! Yes, the curves are important in making it comfortable too. I wish I had taken more pictures during the building process to show more of how the parts fit together, but I was in a hurry. Jenn's been bugging me to make another one for us, so I'll try and do it then.

10:38 AM, June 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home