Monday, April 18, 2005

Changing the Blog Design

Now that we've got a 6 month extension on the permits, I'm breathing much easier. I've been meaning to mess around the blog site layout, so here goes. Gone is the pseudo-watermark looking lighthouse thingy that Blogger gave me. I added a recent picture of the front of our house with some links to some blog "highlights". Below I finally got around to improving the House Blogs ring links. I used the icon posted by Heather from 1929 Bungalow, because I like the doorknob metaphor.

I'm still not happy with the overall look. It's just too blue and contemporary. I'll need to find some better background colors and images. Also, I'd like to add more blog highlights, including a list of builders and suppliers.

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the house front. It's much nicer than blogger's images. I am always amazed at the changes you folks made to the house and am thrilled you have linked to flickr. The photos show a little "non-descript" house becoming a beautiful work of art.

Thanks for the credit on the houseblog graphic. I included a link back to your site on the "Our Favorite Sites" portion of our Blog.

6:51 AM, April 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful new look!

7:23 AM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger K said...

Nice redesign! :)

10:43 AM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Hmmmm, new blogger look. Aarrrgghhh! I'm so lazy when it comes to web stuff that if they didn't give me a look mine would be plain white background with black text. Actually, that is pretty much what I have now. Worst, of all, I'm a computer geek and self taught programmer.

8:57 PM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

I also wanted to add that in my town Hillsdale Street is the premier street to live on. One stunning house after another. When I first saw your site I thought you might be one of them.

9:01 PM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Wow, thanks everyone!!! I should redesign the blog more often... :-)

Work of art, Heather? I'll have to post a bunch of pictures of the pealing paint, cracked plaster, missing molding... :-) Thanks for your encouragement! I'd like to add a favorite links page too and will definitely include your very cool house.

Grex, funny you should mention that. I'm a software engineer too, during the week days. I should know better, but style sheets are still a challenge for me (kind of like plumbing...well, no, not as bad as plumbing...).

Hillsdale is not really a premier neighborhood, though it's proximity to downtown has greatly increased the land values recently. Most of the houses are bland mid-century daylight ranches (not that there's anything wrong with that...). There are a few stunning exceptions and I will have to post pictures of them here some time soon.

11:33 PM, April 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home