Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Outsourcing

I'm sloooooowly coming to the realization that I cannot, and probably should not, do it all myself. Jenn helps when she can, but since I let the general contractor go, I've been doing much of the work myself. As things stand with the permits, I need to finish the stairs before October. It will require a lot of detail work that needs to be nearly perfect since it will be the focal point of the main floor. I just don't think I could get a finish carpenter to do it right without costing me an arm, a leg, a first born, etc. I'm going to do the stairs this summer.

But, summer is the time of year to paint the exterior of the house. The trim, rafter tails, and overhang are bare wood that has been exposed to two winters now and probably shouldn't see a third. The trim must be painted this summer. But, I'll be too busy inside. Jenn doesn't like ladders (the roof is 26' above ground in some places), and besides she's pretty busy keeping with the yard. The pitch and height of the roof means it will be difficult and dangerous in parts. It needs to be done right away and it needs to be done right. We're going to need to outsource.

So, how do we pick a painting contractor? I did a quick Google Local search and it appears there are millions of house painters in Portland, which is a little strange since our metro area only has about 1.5 million people. The phonebook confirms a huge number of painters available.

So, we're going to have to pick a few, get some quotes, and pick one. Soon, 'cause summer doesn't last long.

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Urban Queen Anne said...

Ask your neighbors, co-workers, etc. for references on painters. Thats how I found a good painter up here in Seattle. Bon Chance!

1:02 PM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger Derek said...

Don't get college painters, get real professional painters, that have been around. Maybe check the better business bureau too.

2:03 PM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Here we go for union painters looking for weekend side jobs- rates are better and we can be sure they are skilled tradesman being union. Not sure if it works that way in Portland though, probably it would.

6:52 PM, June 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're hoping to have the house painted this August and we've already chosen who we want after seeing his excellent work on other houses being restored in the neighborhood.

Unfortunately, I can't find his business card at the moment but email me if you're interested and I'll send you the info as soon as my husband gets home (he's got the card stashed somewhere).

zuzuspetals at thehallway dot net

10:39 AM, June 24, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks all! This is very good advice.

Derek, it is funny you mention College Pro. I've had two people tell me to call them (two people who have NOT used them). I thought they were a locally owned company that mostly employed college kids during the summer. That's what they want you to think. But, after some research have found they're a national chain of franchises, sort of the McDonalds of house painting. No thanks. I don’t want fries with that.

3:53 PM, June 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home