Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Looking for Craftsman in the Closet

I've been busy the last week or so working on our walk-in closet for the master bedroom. At one point, I had nearly talked myself into just throwing some pre-made closet components in there and calling it a day. But, my irrational need to build things took over and before long I was ripping, gluing, and screwing pieces of cabinet-grade oak plywood together to make my own closet components. Last weekend, I built the two sets of shelves for the west side of the closet, this weekend I got two additional shelves on the west side that will eventually contain all of our hanging cloths. I was struggling to find a way to include some kind of signature "Craftsman" element, but then decided that I could make some mission style supports for the west-side shelves. I don't have a picture of them yet, but they will look a lot like the spindel assemblies for the stairs.

Labels:

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Very nice work! I'm determined to learn to do this - looking for a class or someone to show me!

One question - the upper left pic, those shelves seem to be held on only by wall-mounted support strips on the back and left side, with nothing supporting the right side. Is this correct? If it is, how stable is that outside corner, and how much can a shelf built like that reasonably hold? I tend to way overbuild, giving it enough support to hold 10x the weight it will actually carry, but there are some places where I need shelves where a design like this would certainly work the best.

Thanks!

8:38 AM, March 28, 2007  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Georgetown.

Answer: not very stable at all!

:-)

Sorry, I should have made it more obvious that I'm not done yet. There will be two mission-style vertical supports holding up the bottom shelf and two more to provide extra support for the top shelf. I too like to overbuild. I hope to have the supports in place by this weekend.

9:43 AM, March 28, 2007  
Blogger Northland Stories said...

Greg-
How's the craftsman woodwork coming along? My wife and I have enjoyed the stair/wainscot project you posted and the final stained product. I'd love to see more pics. Hint Hint.

8:18 PM, May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home