Sunday, October 07, 2007

Weekend Project: Coat Closet w/ Bike Storage

This weekend's project was to trim out a coat closet and make it functional. But first, some background. We have a strange L shaped area under our new main stairs. On the left is a full-height doorway that that reveals a conventional sized closet area. However, behind that space is a some left-over area that's 4 feet high, 3 feet wide, and 8 feet deep. This area was described by the architect as "storage space" accessible through the back of the closet. However, I had the builder leave a 3x4 foot area open to the right that is adjacent to the front door. At some point, it occurred to me that this space would make a great place to park a couple bikes, or a "Bob" brand baby stroller. Part of this weekend's task was to not only make the left side functional as a coat closet, but also to build a door for the "bike storage" area.

Unfortunately, I didn't finish. Saturday, I cut my stock and started to assembled the bike door and a jam. I mounted some trim and built a shelf. Today I mounted two coat rods and got the doorjam in place, but didn't finish the door. The plan is to put 3 panes of glass above the 2 panels, but I didn't have the right dimensions of glass on hand. So, this week, I'm going to go to the glass store and get some more. But, I should be done with the closet (minus the wood staining) by next weekend.

Here is the coat closet emerging...


Here is the bike storage door (before glass)


Here is a wider view of the stairs taken earlier this year while I was still staining. You can see the closet doorway on the left and the "bike" doorway on the right.

Labels:

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

2 Comments:

Blogger LH said...

Hi Greg,

I had a feeling I was dealing with a Portlander when I saw the reference to bike storage.

My name is Laurie and I work at Rejuvenation. I do the location scouting for the catalogue so I enjoyed seeing photos of your home. Keep it up!

2:56 PM, January 04, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Laurie! The hinges on that bike storage door are indeed from Rejuvenation.

2:30 PM, January 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home