Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend Project: Trellis Over Garage Door

For quite a while now, I've wanted to build a trellis over the garage door. Now that the city building permits are closed, I have the time to screw around with some fun little tasks like this.

I took a spare 12 foot cedar 2x6 and ripped it into two 2x3s with the table saw. Then, I cut off each of the ends at a 30degree angle to match the support beams over the porches. After that, I made some simple 20" 2x2s out of some leftover scraps. I mounted the two 2x3s on the knee braces over the garage, then spaced the 2x2s 8" apart. I used 3 1/2" deck screws to fasten the 2x3s down, 2 1/2" deck screws for the 2x2s. Here are some pics:

Before:


After:


Close Up:


This house is starting to look pretty darn nice, I think...

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I've been wanting to do this for some time too. Did you have plans or did you just wing it? What type of wood did you use?

8:20 AM, May 22, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Oops, sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.

The braces are based on the classic "triangle knee braces" that you will see on a lot of houses from the Craftsman era. They are fur, primed and painted.

The trellis is cedar.

12:36 PM, June 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home