Saturday, August 09, 2008

William's Bookshelf

Today, I had some time to work on William's built in bookshelf. The basic idea is a shelf that is 6ft wide, 4ft high, and 1ft deep. I'm building this out of 3/4" cabinet grade white oak plywood. Here is where I'm at...

I ripped up a sheet of 4x8 plywood. There will be 2 4ft high sides and two 6ft long shelves. The 2 sides will require grooves for the shelves to fit into.


I'm fortunate that my table saw has a sliding miter table that words pretty well for cutting grooves. I just set the saw blade height to 1/4".


Here is what the 1/4" groove looks like.


Here are the two sides, I just need two shelves to fit into those grooves.


Here I have the sides up and the shelves in place. I put some 1/4" oak ply on the wall behind the shelves. Next, these shelves need a top, but I'm also going to put some braces between the shelves to improve the strength. This unit is for a little boys room, so it is only a matter of time before he decides to climb it. The shelves better be ready...

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Nice job on the shelves. Yep, it won't be long before he will be climbing. Where does the time go?

2:03 PM, August 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! You didn't mention using a dado blade for the grooves - did you just cut it with multiple passes of a regular blade?

4:28 PM, August 10, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

@Sandy, no kidding!

@Jason, I don't have a dado blade, but I should probably get one.

9:43 AM, August 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job. Beats going to Ikea or some other generic store.

12:53 PM, August 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home