Saturday, April 09, 2005

Plumbing: Ugh.

Plumbing is a problem for me. I’m no good at it. In fact I don’t like it, and, apparently, it doesn’t like me either. In my last house, I remodeled the kitchen, the 1st bathroom (twice), and added a second bathroom. Every time I touched the plumbing something went horribly wrong and water went every where. And yet, I keep trying...

So, tonight was the inevitable plumbing night. I've been dreading this, and as it turns out, for good reason. There was much grumbling and mumbling and outright swearing. It took two trips to the Hell Depot. And, worse of all, I didn’t even finish.

It was a big task, especially for someone as plumbing-challenged as me. I had to mount 3 sinks, install a tub faucet and a separate shower faucet. It took me 5 hours, including one of the trips to HD. The shower faucet appears to have shipped without a ring that goes around the handle. It looks a little funny, but it works. I seem to have lost the little screw the keeps the tub faucet spout in place, but it still works (no leaks). 2 of the sinks work without leaking, but the 3rd has a leaky p-trap. I decided to attack the 3rd p-trap with a giant 18" pipe wrench. That wasn’t a good idea. Now I will need to go back to Hell and get another p-trap assembly, tomorrow.


And now, some pictures:


This is the sink in the 2nd bathroom. No leaks here.


These are the sinks in the master bath. The one on the left had a leaky p-trap, which I then mangled with the pipe wrench. I'm a bad plumber.


Close up view of bad sink, post disaster.


The show went pretty well except that I discovered the plumber roughed it in with the leads crossed. So now, the hot is cold and the cold is hot. Oops. I guess it will just have to stay that way.

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, We had the same problem with our shower valve. It is not plumbed incorrectly. There is an adjustment you can make inside the handle mechanism that will reverse the hot and cold for you. Look in the manual that came with the faucet it should explain the process. Hope it works for you.

Carol

8:25 PM, April 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alot of brands allow for the change, not all. before you take the faucet appart block the drain so no small pieces go down. usually you take the valve out of the casting and flip it 180. youll probly need a faucet tool to get the retainer off. hd has it.

7:12 AM, April 10, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Carol and Brian! I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

4:12 PM, April 10, 2005  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Our hot and cold is on backwards too. A separate handle controls each flow, so I don't think there is much we can do to correct it.

12:33 PM, April 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home