Monday, August 29, 2005

Blog Got Spammed?

After my last post yesterday, I had 7 comments. All of the comments were completely unrelated to my post and my blog, all were encouraging readers to go follow links to another site. They were all obviously not left by humans, but rather "bots" that automatically look for any blogs to post their advertisements to. I've seen these before, never more than 1 at a time. But this time I got 7. I just deleted them all.

So, my question: is this happening to your blog too? Does anyone know of any effective counter measures?

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

6 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

I've had it happen a couple times. All you can do is erase them as far as I know. At least with Blogger, I've seen other blogs where you have to key in a series of numbers and letters to fool the bots.

11:10 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

I got hit by this a few weeks ago and I noticed the same thing at Chicago Two-Flat a few days back. Blogger now has a "Word Verfication". Go to "Change Settings" the nexct time you post and look for it on one of the tabs.

If you choose "yes" for this setting, then people leaving comments on your blog will be required to complete a word verification step, similar to the one presented when you create a blog:

1:05 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger John said...

The exact same thing happened to us today. It was a new experience, annoying to say the least.

1:09 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

Are you Blogger setting set to publish to Weblogs.com? I am supicious that that may be the spammer's source.....

2:39 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for your feedback all.

Yes, I do have the notify Weblogs.com turned on. I'd turn it off if I knew it wouldn't impact RSS.

I may turn Word Verification on. We'll see.

One interesting thing is that THIS post didn't get any spam comments. I did read recently that over 80% of e-mail is now spam. Let's just hope spam blog comments don't get that bad...

3:36 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

eeek I hope not! I deleted mine and saw some on yet another blog this week.

5:51 PM, August 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home