Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Left Interior Column

I was able to finish the preliminary work on the left column in the main hallway. I got the substructure, the panels, the shelf and the collars all mounted tonight. Tomorrow I hope to mount the horizontal boards that will bridge the gap between the two columns. These boards will be solid oak 1x6, about 12ft long, and be cut at the ends with a 30 degree angle. They are supposed to remind one of the beams across the porches, kind of tie them together. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow. This weekend, we will be out of town. We are going to the coast (Lincoln City, Oregon) for the New Years weekend. The weather is supposed to be stormy, which should make for some good viewing.

Here are some pictures of the left column. I'm hoping when it is really finished that it will have a proper Craftsman look to it. I still need to apply some trim molding, sand, stain, and apply some finish. But, I won't be doing that until late spring or early summer.




Here you can see how I framed the upper tapered portion:

NOTE:Comments that appear to promote commercial web sites will be deleted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg- the column looks great- well done! I like the Craftsman lines of the design.

10:57 AM, December 29, 2005  
Blogger Anne said...

Love the column!!

11:00 AM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Trissa and Anne!

11:54 AM, December 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home